Get ready for an exciting month of blog posts Royals!
I have a ton of ideas planned for the month of June now that I’m feeling better. Inspired by a recent conversation with my cousin, I’ve decided to touch on the topic of eyebrows. Maybe you haven’t heard, but eyebrows frame your face and polish your look. Think eyebrows aren’t important when it comes to beauty? Just Google “Celebrities without eyebrows” and be prepared to be creeped out. They look like creatures from a Sci-Fi movie. Below I’ve got some tips on how to fix any eyebrow problems you may be facing.
Figuring out what brow shape and thickness is right for you can be a bit tricky. What makes the task even more daunting is that it takes about three to four months to correct a mistake and almost a year to grow out a full set of brows! TIP: Apply Rogaine on a q-tip, (be careful not to get it in your eye!) and apply it to your eyebrows to speed up the process. Be sure to do a skin test before you try it out on your face.
How to get the perfect brow arch:
3. Place your brow arch in line with the OUTER edge of your iris…not the center.
Choosing the right color for you:
1. Fill in sparse brows with a brow pencil. Avoid eyeliners as they tend to be too creamy and highly pigmented. Don’t care for pencils? A brow powder or eyeshadow applied with a stiff angled brush looks fabulous!
2. Go one or two shades lighter if you’re a brunette, or try taupe if you’re blonde. Tip: Have grey hairs? Plucking them can sabotage all your hard work! Maintain the shape of your brows by tinting them with a brow gel or having them professionally dyed instead.
3. Use short, light strokes to create “hairs” where brows are thin. As long as you stay inside your natural brow line, you should be just fine.
The right brow shape for your face:
1. Keep it natural and realistic. Trends are now leaning towards a fuller more youthful brow. TIP: A lower and less dramatic arch can take up to ten years off your face! Over arched brows creates a puffy eyelid and lots of saggy space above your eye.
2. Put the tweezers down! Stick thin brows have never been cute on anyone. They make you look hard and are usually portray an unflattering emotion. Avoid the “upside down V” that can make you look angry. For a more approachable look, remove a few hairs from the top of the arch. Bypass the “hook” or “comma brow” by relaxing your face and not raising your eyebrows while plucking. Taking a bit of fullness from the front will instantly make the ends appear thicker. Lightly fill in with a brow pencil, concentrating on the sparser tails.
3. Tame overgrown bush brows by trimming them up a bit. 9 times out of ten, there’s no need to go crazy with the tweezers. Comb brows straight up with a spooley brush, then trim only the longest hairs. Stagger the length as you go. Cut one hair a little longer and then one hair a little shorter. This will create a more natural finish. Comb hairs back in place and set with brow gel.
1. Always set your work with a brow gel. Ladies who need a bit more color can use one that is tinted. For the rest of us, clear gel works just fine. TIP: Clear brow gels tend to be over-priced. A clear mascara does the same exact thing and for less.
2. Start with a good foundation. If using powder to fill in your brows, an eyeshadow primer like the Urban Decay’s Primer Potion will help keep the color in place all day.
3. For an extremely polished brow, grab an angled brush and clean up around your brow area with a concealer about two shades lighter than your complexion. This trick is great when you need to disguise stray hairs that are too short to pluck or wax. I prefer applying concealer only underneath my brows, but it’s okay to apply above them too. No matter what you do: blend, blend, blend!
And my NUMBER ONE TIP? If you don’t know what you’re doing…Seek a professional! There’s more than one way to
skin a cat shape a brow. Tweezing…waxing…threading…Do whatever works for you!
1. Benefit Brow Zing $30 2.Tweezerman’s Hot for Dots Mini Slant Tweezers $15 3. Benefit Instant Brow Pencil $22 4. Origins Just Browsing Brow Shaping Color $15 5. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Scissors $23 6. Lamik Brow Brush $22 7. Rogaine Hair Regrowth Treatment for Women $57 8. MAC Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer $17